Thursday, September 1, 2011

Spunky Senior, Morgan Mandel, Owns a Pit Bull

Morgan with Baby Rascal



A Little Older
 
Rascal with a Sunburn
I never thought I'd adopt a pit bull but that was before I fell in love with a puppy on Adoption Day for Chicagoland Dog Rescue, in front of PetSmart, over 6 years ago. I'd heard terrible things about the breed, which really scared me, but this little one seemed harmless enough when I first met her.

That was before she ate the hallway linoleum and chewed the legs on the rocking chair, and tried to eat a piece of glass I hadn't even noticed was on the floor, yet she'd managed to find.

She's tamed down her eating habits since then, reserving them for grabbing slippers or socks to get my attention.

I'm afraid I've spoiled this vicious pit bull by giving her peanut butter on a biscuit treat in the morning with her breakfast and baby carrots at night with dinner. She does look ferocious, doesn't she? Don't worry, I'm spunky. I can handle her, because I know the secret. She'll do almost anything for another treat.


9 comments:

  1. She looks like the Little Rascal's dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll probably protect you and your family at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She isva good watch dog but I'm afraid she could be bribed by a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Paul named her Rascal because of the Little Rascals but my full name for her is Our Little Rascal Flats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute doggie! Does someone who barely survived driving 200 miles to escape from a hurricane, then decide she wanted to go back and weather it out and ended up being so exhausted she slept through the worse of it qualify to be a spunky senior? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pit Bulls are notoriously food-driven. I always carry treats. Buster is a mix. We had his DNA worked up, and it came up something ridiculous, like daschund. I still think he's part Pit. He looks and sounds ferocious (when he's not being called pretty because of his eye-liner look), but he's the biggest baby going. And Pit Bulls are supposed to be wonderful hospital dogs--they are very gentle with the patients. Good for you for not giving in to stereotypes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is adorable! I've met many pit bulls and mixed breeds with a lot of pit and I think they are very friendly to people. Some of them (including one of my dogs) really seem to hate other dogs, though. Our youngest dog, Shannon, gets really upset sometimes that other dogs exist. Her fur stands on end if we walk by a yard whether we've seen other dogs in the past, even if they're not out that day. Our neighbors' pit bull mix is the same way. Have you had that problem at all with Rascal? I see you've had to deal with sun burn. How on earth would you put sunscreen on her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rascal likes most other dogs especially when in places she feels comfortable or if there are a lot of them around. On an individual basis, she doesn't like males as much unless they're small. What hair she has can stand on end. Certain people she doesn't like if they don't come on to her as friendly or seemaggressive.She's deaf and has to rely on body language.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see a postive post about a pit bull. The breed has been so maligned due to the senseless actions of a few people who use them for sport. Enjoy your Rascal.

    ReplyDelete

Click and Share Your Thoughts. One blogspot or website link only.