Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Paddle Surfing Adventures of Spunky Senior Author, Terry Ambrose


Terry Ambrose 

Terry Ambrose started out skip tracing and collecting money from deadbeats and quickly learned that liars come from all walks of life. He never actually stole a car, but sometimes hired big guys with tow trucks and a penchant for working in the dark to “help” when negotiations failed.

Terry's Website: http://terryambrose.com

Finding My Inner Hawaiian by Terry Ambrose

I’m pretty sure that in a previous life I was Hawaiian. Kauai is the one place I’ve ever been where I feel truly “centered.” I’m sure that surfing, playing in the sun all day while my skin turned a golden brown, and paddling an outrigger canoe were my favorite activities.

That was that life, fast forward to the this one. Last year I had the opportunity to try paddle surfing. For those not familiar with the sport, you’re on a board a bit wider than a surfboard and have a paddle to help control your direction and balance. My wife purchased a package lesson for me, her brother Bill, and his then 14-year-old daughter Brenna.  None of us had ever paddle surfed before; so this seemed like a great opportunity.

The day began with us on the docks with our guide, Jimmy. Jimmy had been in the business for about three years and said that he’d never had anyone actually go in the water. That gave all three of us, especially this intrepid paddle board wannabe, comfort—and a goal…don’t be the first.

Jimmy explained how the secret to paddle boarding is to stand up slowly and keep your center of gravity low while maintaining your forward motion. Sounded easy enough. Next, he had us kneel on the boards in the water and paddle around the harbor. Still simple, no problem. The water in the harbor was flat and, according to Brenna (who tested it with her hand), not that cold. That was comforting.

So here’s how the action went down…so to speak. Brenna, being a kid, popped up on her board in no time. Bill, being an ex-surfer wasn’t far behind. That means, you guessed it, the real entertainment here was yours truly.

I did as Jimmy instructed and built up some forward momentum. My speed was good and the board felt stable. I was on my knees and ready to stand. The other two were paddling around me…not quite in circles, but the term “lagger” or even “slacker” comes to mind. As I started to stand, I realized how shaky my knees felt. Still, I figured, once I was up, everything would be okay.

Part way up on the first attempt, things got even shakier. Back down to my knees I went. Another try…more momentum…keep the balance…I can do this…halfway up…now, paddle a little…uh, oh, paddle’s dragging in the…

I hate being the center of attention…at least, while I’m floating in dirty harbor water. However, not being one to give up easily, I climbed back onto my board, more determined than ever.
On the next attempt, I dropped to my knees before I dropped…again…into the water. 

The third time was the charm and I popped up like a rusty nail coming out of a board…yes, it was slow and jerky, but I made it. I only went in one more time and that was when a boat’s wake caught me sideways…okay, the wake was only two inches tall and moving slowly, but that’s not the point. The point is that I got back up on the board, stood, and finished out.

So, in this life maybe I’m not Hawaiian…can’t surf that well, everyone knows about the fair-skinned people in the sun thing, and the outrigger canoe? Who knows, maybe…someday.
The bad news is, Jimmy can no longer say, “nobody’s ever gone in.” The other good news? I saved my hat. Try it again? Absolutely!

And Now, About Terry's Book, License to Lie - Set where else, but Hawaii -
License to Lie
by Terry Ambrose

Catch island fever with this funny Hawaiian mystery set on the beautiful island of Oahu.
Wilson McKenna’s newest tenant is hot, gives great hugs, and just saw a dead body being thrown from a plane. McKenna’s not one to get involved in other people’s problems, especially those of a woman half his age, but before he knows it, he’s volunteered to track down the plane and its owner. In no time, McKenna has uncovered an island drug ring, pissed off a sociopath, and set himself up as the victim in a beautiful woman’s con that could cost him his life. 


What people say about Terry's Book:

License to Lie is fast and well written, almost sure to satisfy discerning readers of thrillers.  There’s a verve to Ambrose’s language and the story moves with assurance, defying easy predictions.  Bravo to this writer.  I hope there’s more to come. — T. Jefferson Parker, Author of The Jaguar and The Border Lords
"Fast-paced, unpredictable, and a lot of fun--no one is who they seem in this smart and twisty tale of high finance and double dealing. This unlikely and irresistible crime-fighting duo will charm you--and keep you happily turning the pages." — Hank Phillippi Ryan, Anthony, Agatha and Macavity award-winning author
Buy Links for Terry's Books:
Please leave a comment to welcome Terry to Spunky Senior Authors and Talents.

12 comments:

  1. The book sounds great, and I loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the story about the paddle board. Entertaining. And I've always been intrigued with skip tracing and "finding" people. Your novel sounds great. I entered the Goodreads contest.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz and Patricia! Thanks to you both for stopping by and the comments. The paddle boarding incident was a whole lot of fun and I'd love to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Spunky Senior Authors and Talents, Terry Ambrose, you spunky paddler/author!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terry,

    I enjoyed reading about your paddle surfing adventure. I'm not nearly so spunky as to try that, my knees having given out in a key moment snow skiing several years ago. Now most of my physical adventuring is the armchair kind, but I'm good with that.

    I've also been to Kauai and loved it. My husband tried to get all 4 of us and our luggage in a red Mustang convertible and I ended up buried under a pile of suitcases. I'm sure the locals got a big laugh out of that.

    Your book sounds great. And you've got some fab reviews. Looking forward to reading it.

    Maggie
    www.maggietoussaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. According to my favorite old-time board surfer (Larry), the current term is SUP or Stand-Up Paddleboards (as opposed to a paddleboard which is flat and paddled with the hands like the lifeguards use). There are also surf skis where the person sits on the board wearing a seatbelt and his feet in straps. Like a kayak, the surf ski is paddled sitting down. Do I need to tell you that we have all of these in our garage?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie, you are correct about the locals getting a kick out of that Mustang. We once rented a really beat-up car (not on purpose) while we were there and got treated as though we were locals. It was hysterical!

    My gosh, Lorna, I had no idea Larry was so into water sports. How much fun! I wish I had more time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh, the book reference to License to Lie is incorrect. Photo Finish is the funny Hawaiian mystery featuring McKenna. License to Lie is set in Carlsbad and is suspense...a few funny parts, but not like that guy McKenna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Terry, Enjoyed your story. I'm a sun lover from years ago. Unfortunately I've never made it to Hawaii, but think I need to go there through your books, which sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love visiting Hawaii so I am looking forward to reading this one
    JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Velda and Joye, nice to meet both of you and thanks for stopping by! I try to convey the islands in the story and have been complimented on the "sense of place" so I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read. And Joye, do you have a favorite island? Mine is Kauai, where the next McKenna Mystery will be set!

    ReplyDelete

Click and Share Your Thoughts. One blogspot or website link only.