Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spunky Senior Terry Palardy Doesn't Let MS Get Her Down


Terry Palardy

I just discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and love the page I read. I'm fairly new at blogging, having only started at the end of November - but am enjoying it, and invite you to view mine (link below). I'm not unfamiliar with technology, and everything I know I have learned primarily from my young students, and my son.


 
  
Terry Palardy, with son, Rob, and husband, Rick,
at Rob's Paramedic Graduation.
  Bless my son. Twenty years ago, I sat at the table of a faculty meeting, hearing the principal announce that we would be going on line, and would need a webmaster to host our school's page in the district’s new website. We all looked at each other blankly. After an awkward minute, the principal looked at me and said "Terry, would you be able to do this? … with your son's coaching, of course?"  My son, like many of his peers, was more than adept at computers, seeming intuitively to anticipate and grasp each new developmental change in technology. And so I began, with Rob's help. I deposited the stipend into his college fund account. We did that together for awhile, until another teacher with skills joined us, and eventually took that over.


Terry Palardy with Husband, Rick, at
an MS Walk Last Spring

I just retired this past June, after a thirty year career in public education. I would have taught longer, but a belated diagnosis of multiple sclerosis took me out two years earlier than I'd wished. I began my new career as a writer by gathering up essays that I'd written for years prior, and self-publishing a book. I next gathered up the many poems I'd written for family members and published another, and then another teaching collection, and then another poetry collection, and then a small town commentary collection, and then I was ready to write the story of my diagnosis.
With those steps behind me, I am ready to start writing now purely for the joy of writing, and am planning a few more books for this winter. I've been invited to be the featured author for our small town library's new venture, a Local Author's Program, and I'll be speaking to an audience in February, both about my books and about becoming a self-published author. 

I look forward to reading more of your blog, Morgan, and joining you here now and again.
Sincerely,

I've written books about Teaching, Poetry, Georgetown and Multiple Sclerosis.
See my Author Page at Amazon, where I'm published under my full name:Terry Crawford Palardy -

 
Please welcome Terry Crawford Palardy to Spunky Senior Authors and Talents!

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to Spunky Senior Authors and Talents, Terry! You are an inspiration to all of us. You certainly keep busy and don't let anything get you down!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan ... you invited me to a whole new world with Spunky Seniors!

      Delete
  2. I really like your fearless attitude, Terry. You take up new challenges with admirable optimism. The world needs more people like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, thank you for your kind words ... I've learned that perseverance is very important in life!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful. I'm thrilled you're embarking on a brand new career.

    Wishing you the best,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to be writing, Cheryl. It is something I've always done piecemeal, but now I can give it full attention (well, almost full!)

      Delete
  4. Well done Terry on not letting MS get in the way of your creative muse! I'm a author, deaf from birth but in 1998, ill health caused me to lose my job on medical grounds. It was diagnosed as Menieres and whilst in the recovery period, my writing dreams were revived and I have not looked back since so maybe it's a blessing in disguise on that front. I'm now a diabetic too and I write when I can! Find me at http://markradford.blogspot.com for information on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I'm on my way over to your blog. Leaving a position because of health issues is hard to swallow, given all that we hear of accommodations available. But how does a teacher with cognitive issues continue to teach? I, too, find writing both cathartic and productive. Kudos to you, Mark!

      Delete
  5. Even without health issues, we are at the age of re-invention and these are exciting times for the "spunky" among us. Good luck, Terry. I enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Click and Share Your Thoughts. One blogspot or website link only.